Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Quick 3-Bean Chili

Sometimes Andy comes home and just kind of looks at me when I tell him what's for dinner. He never says, "I don't want that;" he says, "that sounds heavy/breakfast-y/like a lot of work" and from this I am to ascertain he doesn't want what I'm making. Now, I could tell him to suck it, you'll eat what I freaking make you but a good part of the pleasure of cooking comes from feeding the person (people) you're for whom I'm cooking.

Long story short: my Cherizo Quiche became a Quick 3-Bean Chili.

(serves 3)

2 cans of tri-color beans
Onion
Garlic
Cherizo
Cilantro
Cumin
Homefries* (optional, I had some leftover from the weekend but it does taste good)
1 cup Chicken stock (or the chicken bouillon mix I keep for emergencies)
1 cup water
S+P

Sour Cream
Chipotle

In a large pan, sautee onion and garlic til fragrant with s+p; add cherizo. Pour in chicken stock, water and beans. Add cumin and cilantro. Allow to boil until reduced to desired consistency. Add potatoes last. Serve topped with chipotle/sour cream mix.

*Homefries are easy. You need to boil one cubed potato til the skin starts to peel off on the edges; drain. Melt 1 tbs oil and 1 tbs butter in a med high pan: add onion, garlic, potatoes, s+p, and dried thyme in that order and leave it alone to brown on one side before you flip to the other side to brown. Keep flipping til it gets all yummy crusty, adding more butter and oil as needed to keep from burning/sticking to pan. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels