Friday, November 12, 2010

Beef Stew

I did this in a slow-cooker overnight but I think 12 hours is too long to cook. Might have to try to make this into a stove-top stew some other time. 

Ingredients:

Beef stew meat, cubed
Celery, chopped
Onion, chopped
Carrots, chopped
Garlic, minced
Large russet pototo, cubed
All-purpose flour
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Olive oil
1 container Beef broth
1/2 cup Red wine
S+P
3 sprigs Rosemary
2 Bay leaves
Steak sauce or Worcestershire sauce 

Preparation:

Fill crockpot with potato, carrots, celery, bay leaves, some salt and pepper.

Mix flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a freezer bag and shake the beef in it to coat. Pan fry in a olive oil, adding them in batches so your pan doesn't instantly cool down. Remove meat to crock pot, add a little more olive oil to sautee onion and garlic until soft. Deglaze pan with red wine. Add beef broth and sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Add mixture to pot. Top the stew with rosemary sprigs and set to low for 12 hours.

It's good and cheap but I'll add more salt next time with a shorter cooking time. I still cannot seem to make my crockpot to work for me! Maybe when I'm home with the baby and can keep an eye on it, it will work better. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels