Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chicken and Spinach Casserole

This recipe is, um, fat forward, let's just say. I can't get Andy to eat this kind of meal very often so I don't think this will become a part of the repertoire and I hesitate to include it but I liked it, so here we go. I cut the fat by a tiny bit by using milk (the original recipe called for 1 1/2 c half and half. Oof.)



from Martha Stewart Everyday Food, October 2010

1 med onion, chopped
garlic, chopped
1 bag spinach
1/2 c white wine
Oliver oil
2 tbs flour
Juice from one half lemon
3/4 c half and half
3/4 c milk
Shredded chicken breasts
Squares of chunked bread
S+P

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, drizzle olive oil over bread chunks and season with s+p; set aside. Wilt spinach in oil, s+p; set aside. Sautee garlic and onions in oil with s+p until soft and deglaze pan with white wine. Cook for 5 minutes. Add juice of lemon then slowly whisk in milk and half and half. Stir in spinach and chicken then spoon into casserole dish. Top with bread and bake for 8-10 minutes or until bread is browned on top. Allow casserole to sit for a few minutes before serving.

Try not to worry about your hardening arteries.

Update (3 hrs later): Uh, will definitely need to figure out a lower fat version...my tummy hurts. Andy went into a cream coma and I won't even be able to eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow so that's dumb. I think I could thicken skim milk with cornstarch but I'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels