Saturday, November 27, 2010

Buttermilk Syrup

I used to get so frustrated that recipes would call for buttermilk because who the hell has buttermilk laying around? But now that I'm making my own butter (btw, whipping cream works as well as heavy whipping cream), I have all this buttermilk I have to use. Suddenly, it makes sense why all these old recipes call for it and I really don't need another excuse to make this Buttermilk Syrup.


from All Recipes.

1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. buttermilk
2 tbs corn syrup
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp baking soda
 2 tsp vanilla

Mix all the ingredients minus vanilla into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. It will foam a lot so choose a deeper saucepan or transfer mid boil when you get scared it's going to ruin your stove. But that's messy, ok? Stir continuously for 7 minutes so the mix won't scorch; it will turn a deep amber color. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Serve with pancakes, waffles or a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels