Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Handmade Pasta

3 cups of all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
dash of olive oil

Make a mound of the flour and a well in the middle. Crack egg into well and begin to swirl with fingers or fork (will be very sticky). Incorporate the edges of the flour into the well until a ball is formed (there will be plenty flour left over). You could also just mix this in your stand mixer and save your counter; it's not traditional and Molto Mario will shoot daggers from his eye teeth if he knew but since he doesn't live with you (presumably) do what you want. Either way, let the ball of dough rest for 30 minutes. Then roll out and roll out and roll out til thin (takes forever). Cut into strips and boil immediately for pasta!

I kind of forget how I have this recipe but one thing that I've sot of learned is that you need one more egg than cups of flour. So, if you want to make a smaller batch of pasta, you'd crack 3 eggs to 2 cups of flour or 2 eggs to one cup, get it? You get it.

I doubt I'll make much more of my own pasta til I have this.

UPDATE! I totally got my extruder and started pasta yesterday. I followed a recipe in the manual (1 1/2 c flour and 2 eggs and a teaspoon of water but had to add another egg and some olive oil. Anyway.) and it seemed to come out great! I dried it for almost an hour and packed it away for dinner tonight (Dec 6, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels