Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cantaloupe Sherbet

Oh, man, between moving and Baby-Wait 2011, I've been pretty busy! But one of the great things about moving is unearthing all the stuff I'd all but forgotten about. I don't know how I forgot I had an ice cream attachment for my Kitchen-Aid, it's practically brand-new, but I did forget. No matter, I'll make up for it.

So, anyway, I bought a cantaloupe this week and was completely overwhelmed by the amount of fruit it yielded. I'm only one person, I can't eat that much fruit before it goes bad! Sherbet to the rescue


Cantaloupe Sherbet
adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients:

1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
lemon zest
lemon juice
2 tbs vodka (or rum or clear licorice liquor)
1/2 cup kefir (or milk or heavy cream)
1 cantaloupe, chopped

Prep:
Make a simple syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water. Add the zest and vodka and let simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cool, stir in lemon juice and chill til cold (a couple of hours). Puree your melon in a food processor or blender until smooth, add kefir and chilled syrup. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions and transfer to airtight container. It will firm up in the freezer. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can transfer to an airtight container and stir every once in a while for three hours until desired consistency is reached and, once again, it will continue to firm up in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels