Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quinoa

Oh, hey, so a new discovery: quinoa is FANTASTIC and as easy to cook as couscous and almost just as fast. Like couscous, it can serve as a pretty awesome vehicle for whatever you want to put in it and, if you're not careful, you could end up making way too much. Like, enough for 6 people even though you only used a cup and half! Unlike couscous, you have to be careful to read the packaging because it might need to be rinsed until the water runs clear or taste like poop. The package I bought was pre-rinsed so, lucky me, I only dirtied one colander and wasted a half minute rinsing it before I read the packaging.

When it's cooked, this small grain is fluffy and nutty and, oddly enough, a relative to spinach. Anyway, it's delicious. I'm excited for it because it seems like I could throw in whatever I have lurking in the frig and, 12 minutes later, dinner is served. A one pot meal, my favorite! Here's what I threw in last night adapted however slightly from this recipe



Quinoa Casserole
(Adjust amounts based on how many people you're feeding and remember it's 2 parts liquid (water or broth) to 1 part quinoa. I think I could feed me and Andy dinner on a half cup quinoa with 1 cup broth considering the cup and half I used last night will keep me in quinoa lunches for the next, I don't know, 3 days..)

Olive oil
Dried Cranberries
Almonds, chopped
Cinnamon
3 cups veg broth
some salt
Mushroom stems (totally optional, I just had them on hand but I really liked the flavor)

1 1/2 c quinoa

Feta Cheese
Baby tomatoes
Spinach (baby or chopped)

Combine the first batch of ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, bring back up to a boil and then cut the heat to a simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. The quinoa is done when the liquid is absorbed and it fluffs with a fork. Cut the heat, stir in the cheese and tomatoes and top with spinach. Allow time for spinach to wilt and serve!

I served this with some roast chicken and maybe next time I'll even stir the chicken in. Seriously easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

the labels